The Château Logue : a page of history
The Château Logue at the turn of the 20th century.
The Corporation du Château Logue is proud to welcome you to this majestic residence.
This building, in the Second Empire style, was built in 1887 by Charles Logue, an Irish immigrant, for his family. Built of hand-cut granite, the Château Logue was fully restored in 1988, without altering its original beauty.
Since spring 2000, this jewel of our heritage in Maniwaki has been the central piece of a magnificent hotel complex, the Château Logue Resort. More majestic than ever, the heritage building houses the Interpretation Centre dedicated to the history of the prevention and fighting of forest fires, work rooms, exhibit rooms and an exhibition room set up on the 3rd floor to display works by local artists and artisans, artists and artisans from other regions, as well as travelling exhibitions touring the province.
The Maniwaki Socio-cultural Committee and the Château Logue Corporation use the room for several exhibitions each year.
The Château in Maniwaki
In 1887, Charles L. Logue (1846-1900), a prosperous merchant in Maniwaki, built himself a residence on the banks of the Gatineau River. Its style, imposing size and building material (hand-cut granite) so impressed the first inhabitants of Maniwaki (founded in 1851) that they dubbed it the Château Logue.
Built in the Second Empire style, this house suited Charles L. Logue, owner of a small business empire in the Upper Gatineau Valley. According to the 1871 federal census, he owned the Château, 3 warehouses, 1 loft barn, 4 sleighs, 1 cart, 1 boat, 4 horses, etc, not forgetting the few thousand furs he traded with the Indians.
The Algonquins gathered in large numbers at the Hudson’s Bay Company trading post located near the Château, at the confluence of the Désert and Gatineau Rivers.
Charles L. Logue also owned a general store and was involved in the lumber business.
The arrival of the Logues
In the early 1850s, famine in Ireland forced people to flee the country. Charles L. Logue and his brothers William, Patrick and James left Straban, Ulster and headed for America. There, Charles Logue quickly made his fortune. The best testimonial of his success was his residence, the Château.
The house consists of a basement and 3 floors. The front was reserved for the Logue family (Charles was first married to Elisabeth Farrel, then to Annie-Marjorie Kennedy), with servants’ quarters at the back. When he died in 1900, the residence passed to his 4 children by his second wife -- Charles-Edward, who took charge of it, Marguerite, Mary and Kathleen.
The first mayor of Maniwaki
The only child from Charles’s first marriage, John Patrick, who became the first mayor of Maniwaki in 1904, was not involved in this transaction. Charles-Edward followed in his father’s steps into business and served as postmaster and police officer. When the Château was ravaged by fire in 1923, leaving only the foundation and the walls, he rebuilt the interior and the roof.
The Maison Nault
When he went bankrupt during the Great Depression, Charles-Edward sold the residence to his sisters in 1930. A few transactions later, they sold it to Ernest Nault. The Château thus passed to another great Gatineau Valley family, the Naults.
The son of merchant Jean-Baptiste Nault, Ernest (1895-1980) was the oldest of 9 children. He became a prosperous merchant and the mayor of Montcerf. In May 1933, he acquired the Château Logue, which then became known as the Maison Nault.
Ernest Nault made extensive renovations to the house that had been neglected for 3 years, using the expert services of renowned cabinetmakers, Henri Ledoux and sons. In late August 1933, the house was ready to receive Ernest Nault, his wife Florence Moore and their 9 children. Two more children were born later.
In those days, Ernest Nault was the owner of a general store in Montcerf, another situated near the Maison Nault, a third in downtown Maniwaki, his residence, a stable across the street for his clients’ horses, as well as a small farm behind his house.
After serving as mayor of Montcerf, Ernest Nault was also a community leader in Maniwaki, serving as chair of the school board and then as alderman. His wife was involved in church activities, looked after her husband, their 11 children and numerous boarders, and directed 4 servants.
The Château is converted into apartments
After his children left home and the house became too big for him and his wife, Ernest Nault decided to move out and convert the house into apartments in the 1960s. He had owned the house for 38 years when, in 1971, the Société d’aménagement de l’Outaouais (SAO) expropriated the land and the building and incorporated them into the Centre touristique de la Haute-Gatineau.
Six years later, the SAO announced officially that it was prepared to entertain proposals for renovating and reusing this heritage building, which was in a sad state, having been vacant and neglected for years. The windows were broken, the walls cracked and the rooms full of debris. Once the pride of its former owners, the house had become ramshackle.
New orientation : Tourism and culture
The Maniwaki socio-cultural Committee, chaired by Jeannine Thibault Logue, got involved and waged a 10-year battle to renovate and save this monument. After many adventures and misadventures, it looked very likely that the Committee was going to pull it off. With the help of the Town of Maniwaki and the Quebec Ministry of Cultural Affairs, it did in fact rescue and bring back to life this relic from the past.
The Interpretation Centre dedicated to the history of the prevention and fighting of forest fires moved into the Château Logue in the spring of 1992.
The municipal library was there for 11 years before being relocated in the spring of 2000. Also in the spring 2000, a resort complex was added to the historic monument, turning it into a perfect year-round destination and a major tourist attraction.
Home | The Château Logue | Exhibits Rooms | Temporary Exhibitions | Schedule | Partners | Links | Français
Maniwaki the Queen | Walleye Interpretation Centre | White-Tailed Deer Interpretation Centre
The Rabaska Canoe | The Pythonga Tugboat
The Centre is named Tourism Business of the Year (2009)